My absolute favorite 4th of July dessert is a cake pop. Why? I have no idea how but I love making . Every time I make them though, I’m surprised at how many people either don’t know how to make them or think that they’re so difficult to make. I’m here to tell you today that they are actually so easy to make, as long as you leave yourself plenty of time to make them. Also, patience is key and feel free to use whatever flavors and colors you want to customize this recipe.
- 1 Box Cake Mix
- 1 16oz Can of Frosting
- Parchment Paper
- Cake Pop Sticks
- Melting Chocolate
- Following the directions on the box of cake mix to make the cake.
- Let cool and then take a fork and start to break up the cake so that it ends up being in little pieces. Place those pieces in a bag and stick it in the freezer for at least 4 hours. (This is my secret step)
- Once the cake mix is frozen, mix in the frosting. Add only a little at a time until the combination is sticky.
- Melt a little of the melting chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. If it doesn’t all melt, stir it and then put on again for 20 seconds.
- Begin to make the cake into small balls, about 1 inch in size.
- Take a cake pop stick and put it in the melted chocolate and then directly into the cake pop ball. This will help to make sure it won’t fall off when its up right.
- Stick the pops, cake side down, onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze. I like to freeze for at least a day but as long as the frosting and chocolate is frozen it should be okay.
- Once the pops are frozen, melt 2 cups of the chocolate and begin to cover the pop with it. I like to use a spoon and gently glide the chocolate over the pop as opposed to just sticky it in the chocolate and turning it. This step is going to be the most tricky so be sure to stay patient.
- Before the chocolate hardens, this is the time to put your sprinkles or decorations on the pops.
- Put the pops back in the fridge until you are ready to serve them!
As you can see, it really isn’t that hard to make cake pops, it just takes a lot of time to make sure that they don’t fall apart. Cake pops are so yummy and really a great dessert for any party. There’s so many ways to decorate them that they can fit any occasion.
For the full video of how to make cake pops, check out my IGTV video on Instagram!